[MPlayer-users] Where can I find these libraries?

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 21:41:02 CET 2008

On 13 Nov 2008, at 06:06, bravo 007 wrote:
>> Ok i'm  sorry, I forgot when I replied your message it forwarded to
>> your mail not this mailing list. I type "mplayer" in console and it
>> gave me an error message that mplayer can't find this library (for
>> this case libcaca.so.0), so what should I do now?
>
> John Doe wrote:
> BUT given the fact that BackTrack is a Live CD and bravo 007 is
> asking on how to make mplayer work on it...
> All I can say is : good luck!
> Please, bravo 007, feel free to humour me,
> but if you do so - tell us how you made mplayer run on BackTrack 3.
>
>> Yes, you're right. So what? Did you think I run mplayer from LIVE
>> CD?  I don't know who wrote this, but if  you think i humour you,
>> maybe you can laugh if you read this http://forum.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14751&highlight=install+backtrack+3
>> . ( I think i still have 2 neurons so that i can install this BT to
>> my hdd and that is a "full" install). After that I installed
>> mplayer and that's where this problem came from.

I'm just going to ignore the quoting above - if anyone is confused by
the above then I suggest they read the individual posts of this thread.

1) Backtrack 3

Ok, so this is a Slackware-based LiveCD distro intended for security &
penetration testing.

2) mplayer from www.linuxpackages.net

This appears to be a Slackware package. I'm guessing that the reason
it doesn't work is that libcaca &c are packaged as part of the base
Slackware distro but the Backtrack developers don't consider them
important considering the purpose of the distro. And you can't find
Slackware libcaca packages because they're usually supplied on the
Slackware install CD - although I guess you might have some luck if
you searched Slackware's own security update repositories.

3) Considering its intended purpose, installing Backtrack 3 on a hard-
disk and then using it as a general purpose distro (for media
playback) is probably a Really Bad Idea (tm). The problem you have
encountered isn't really surprising, and you may well experience more
similar ones if you solve this. You'd probably be better off wiping
the hard-drive, installing Slackware and then using `slackpkg` to
install mplayer <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slackpkg>. Having read a
little about Slackware's (lack of) package management & slackpkg, you
might try installing slackpkg on your current Backtrack system &
seeing if it can resolve the dependencies for you.

4) This list can help you if you download the sources for mplayer from
subversion <http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html#source> and
then compile them <http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html#features
 >. This list doesn't support the Slackware package you found or any
other.

Stroller.