[MPlayer-users] Where does total time in OSD come from?

Bryan Henderson giraffedata at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 05:40:45 CET 2008

On 11/15/08, Nico Sabbi <nicola.sabbi at poste.it> wrote:
> Il giorno sab, 15/11/2008 alle 21.49 +0000, Bryan Henderson ha scritto:
>> In the OSD status display, it shows how far into the file I am and the
>> total running time of the file.  Where does the total running time
>> come from?
>>
>> I'm talking about an MPEG file and ffmpeg codec.  The MPEG file was
>> created by IVTV.

> depends: dvd have a duration indication, many file formats have it too;
> all other values are extrapolated (thus invented)

So what about MPEG files created by IVTV (is there some better way I
should identify the format?)?  Do you know where the value comes from
with those?

If it's extrapolated, it's a pretty naive extrapolation when it shows
total length less than the current position.

I should add that the the value usually matches the actual run time
within a second.