[MPlayer-users] Crash in init_audio_codec with some files under Mac OS X since r27940

Andrew Wason rectalogic at rectalogic.com
Fri Nov 21 21:14:54 CET 2008

Martin Bor <mcbor.mpl <at> xs4all.nl> writes:

> I recently noticed that some files that used to play fine now crashed
> the latest SVN versions of mplayer under Mac OS X. The error message I
> get is "MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: init_audio_codec".

I'm getting the same thing with WMV files with WMA2 audio.
It looks like the assembly in ff_imdct_half_sse is trashing something,
and so when it calls ff_fft_dispatch_sse it actually ends up in
ff_imdct_calc_3dn2.
I have 24 sample videos that fail like this, all with WMA2 audio.
One such sample is http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/WMA2/raam28mb.wmv

gdb session output attached with full symbolic backtrace.

> When I compared the Makefile of x264 (which also uses yasm) and
> mplayer, I noticed that the flags for Yasm differed. x264 uses "-f
> macho", while mplayer uses "-f macho32". When I changed this in
> configure and recompiled, mplayer didn't crash anymore. I attached the
> svn diff as configure.patch

Changing configure to use 'yasm -f macho' fixes it for me too.
ffmpeg/ffplay also use 'yasm -f macho' and does not have this problem
(ffplay can play these files fine).

Andrew