[MPlayer-users] Different Video Length depending on the audio chosen

Khelben Blackstaff eye.of.the.8eholder at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 15:12:28 CET 2008

> the only reliable length is the one of the wav files; for some reason
> mencoder doesn't seem to  decode the whole dts stream

I noticed something that makes the issue more weird.

At first i thought that mplayer -dumpaudio produces the wrong stream,
but i ran dcadec on it and the stream is correct, so mplayer too doesn't
decode it correctly under some circumstances.

To sum all the info in one:

1) mplayer dvd://1 -aid 137    -> decodes DTS fine (length 6078)

2) mplayer dvd://1 -aid 137 -identify -frames 0 -> shows 6078 length
which is correct.

3) mplayer dvd://1 -aid 137 -novideo -ao pcm  -> decodes DTS fine
to a wav of 6078 length.

4) mencoder dvd://1 -aid 137 -oac copy -ovc (copy/h264/whatever) ->
produces a avi which has smaller length (5971) and shows in the screen
"Skipping Frame!" every 2-2.5 seconds.

5) mplayer dvd://1 -aid 137 -dumpaudio -> produces the correct stream
but if i run "mplayer -identify -frames 0 stream.dump" it shows the
wrong length of 5971.

So the problem lies not only with mencoder but with mplayer too.

I tried 3 DVDs with DTS audio so it isn't some fault of the DVD.
My prog versions are the following:

libdca SVN version (also tried version 0.0.5 before that)
also tried -ac ffdca to use ffmpeg instead of libdca but same result.
mplayer svn as of yesterday (revision 27975)

I am glad to provide any more info or test any patch.

I am sorry for my long post and thank you for your time.