[MPlayer-users] Synchronizing multiple instance of Mplayer over the network

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Thu Nov 27 21:19:20 CET 2008

> Is there such a feature?

I think not. Or maybe not yet. Reading time and again thru the manpage
with that very issue in mind, I thougt it might be worth trying to tell
mplayer to use the clock for timing, keeping the clocks of the computers
in sync via ntpd. That's a bit of a strange procedure and leaves the
problem to start the players at exactly the same time, but it might be an
approach. Have never tried it, though.

> Is anyone else interested in working on this?

I would love to work on that if mplayer was written in pascal.
Unfortunately I'm  C-illiterate. The ultimate solution would be imho to
teach mplayer to read SMPTE-timecode coming from a named pipe or something
similar, that would be a multi-purpose solution to a whole bunch of timing
and positioning issues.

I would be very happy to read some words about your question from one of
the developers.

Greets,
Kiste