[MPlayer-users] Performance (too slow to play this)

Roman Odaisky roma at qwertty.com
Sat Nov 29 17:58:23 CET 2008

Greetings,

I’m trying to play HD files using mplayer on Ubuntu 8.10 (x86-32), and it was
so far rather unsuccessful. It would just say, “Your system is too slow to
play this” (also lots of “Too many video packets in the buffer”) and video
would lag behind audio.

I’ve done a fair amount of googling, some advice helped more and some less,
but none fully. So could someone please get it straight and tell me whether
it’s a problem with hardware, or software, or PEBKAC maybe?

1. I have a 3 GHz Pentium 4, 1 GB of RAM and an Nvidia 6600GT. Does this
provide sufficient processing power? What hardware would you suggest for
watching HD movies comfortably?
2. mplayer 1.0~rc2. Has it improved significantly in SVN?
3. What works best (but not perfectly) is -lavdopts
threads=2:fast=true:skiploopfilter=all:skipframe=nonref. -mc and -autosync
don’t seem to help. What can be added here?

What’s strange is that A-V desync is only slight, less than 1%, and I can get
rid of it by seeking in any direction, which seemingly causes both audio and
video to restart from a given position, and then desync begins again to
accumulate. That gives the impression that the system _almost_ copes with the
load, however, if I enable -framedrop, playback becomes really jerky while it
would seem it would have to drop only a single frame per several seconds.

So, am I missing something incredibly simple? Are there any magic options that
would make HD playback smooth and with A-V sync, or should I replace some of
the more outdated hardware?

By the way, speaking of hardware, would you recommend new Nvidia cards with
VDPAU support, does it help and would it outweigh having to use a proprietary
driver?

Thanks in advance.

--
WBR