[MPlayer-users] libavformat muxing broken. So now what?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 16:19:27 CET 2008

The Wanderer wrote:
> Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 8:54 PM, sean darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to transcode realmedia .rmvb to x264 mp4 for playing
>>> over upnp on a ps3.
>>>
>>> mencoder input_movie.rmvb -oac mp3lame -ovc x264 \
>>> -of lavf -o output_file.mp4
>>>
>>> But then I get this message:
>>>
>>> ** MUXER_LAVF *****************************************************************
>>> REMEMBER: MEncoder's libavformat muxing is presently broken and can generate
>>> INCORRECT files in the presence of B-frames. Moreover, due to bugs MPlayer
>>> will play these INCORRECT files as if nothing were wrong!
>>> *******************************************************************************
>>> OK, exit.
>>>
>>> So if this doesn't work, is there anything that does?
>> mp4box?
>>
>> mp4creator?
>>
>> ffmpeg?
>>
>> There are plenty of apps which you can use to mux after encoding...
>
> Not to mention that the message is only relevant if you are encoding
> with B frames; the command line provided does not say to use B frames in
> the output video, so unless x264 uses them by default (which I don't
> believe it does), they won't be used and the problem won't arise.

I shortened the command line:

mencoder input.rmvb -oac mp3lame -lameopts aq=2:q=2  -ovc x264
-x264encopts
subq=6:partitions=all:8x8dct:me=umh:frameref=5:bframes=3:b_pyramid:weight_b:bitrate=250:pass=2
  -of lavf -o output.mp4

taken from the mencoder wiki.

> (I also thought this problem was fixed some time ago, but I see the
> message is still there in latest SVN, so maybe not...)

And, as I asked in the other post, if libavformat from ffmpeg doesn't
work in mplayer, how does it work in ffmpeg?

FWIW, both mplayer and ffmpeg are Nov 29 svn.

sean