[MPlayer-users] is it possible to play and to dump stream simultaneously ?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Nov 30 18:41:57 CET 2008

Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 11:09:20AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Presumably outputting video to stdout would also turn off any
>> messages which would be printed at a 'stdout level', but I don't
>> see any code for that... Reimar, since you say it works, do you
>> happen to know how that problem is dealt with? Is there something
>> obvious I'm missing?
>
> I only meant to say that supporting "-" is nothing necessary.

Maybe not necessary, but it might be a good idea.

> I think it should work most of the time (e.g. assuming you get no
> error messages etc.) by using -quiet -really-quiet etc. and/or one of
> the "verbosity" environment variables that should be described in the
> man page.

Some explicit way to say "output to stdout" would allow us to redirect
the normal output text to stderr rather than having to turn it off,
which could be helpful or at least nice... or could at least let us turn
off the stdout-level text automatically rather than requiring the user
to do it separately.

Of course, if one of the external libraries or similar does something
with stdout in the middle of it all, there will still be problems
anyway.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.