[MPlayer-users] Stitched video file has no audio and no timecode

Anthony Castillon anthony_castillon at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 17:18:09 CEST 2008

I'm using mencoder to stitch together multiple .wmv files and output to a single .wmv file.  I'm pretty much successful in doing so using the following command

mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2 -of lavf -o <output file path>  <list of files to merge>

I have two problems, however, with the stitched file:
1.  It does not have any audio even though the individual files have sound
2.  It does not show the timecode even though each input file has timecode (i.e. when I play the individual files in WMP 10, I can see the running timecode; this does not happen with the merged file.)

For the first problem, I previously tested it with .wmv files that I encoded in our encoding workstation and the merged file had no problem with the audio (but timecode was still missing).  However, when I asked our broadcast group to send me sample .wmv files to test stitching with, the merged file did not have audio.

Does that mean they have an audio codec which I do not have?  If so, how come I can play the individual .wmv files in my machine without audio problems but I'm having the problem with the merged file.

How can I get the timecode from the individual files to be picked up in the merged file?

I'd really appreciate any inputs.

Anthony