[MPlayer-users] Stitched video file has no audio and no timecode

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Thu Oct 9 20:52:51 CEST 2008

Am 09.10.2008, 20:43 Uhr, schrieb Anthony Castillon
<anthony_castillon at yahoo.com>:

> I'm assuming the files created by our broadcast team were created using
> the same audio codec; I'm trying to get additional information from them
> though.

Oh, when you play them in mplayer, all codec information will be written
to the console. No need to ask someone, I think.

> What would be the reason why the audio in the individual files play
> properly in WMP 10 but not the audio in the merged file?  I'm just
> thinking this might be due to differences in audio codec among the input
> files?  Are there other reasons?

That's what I thought. Adding apples and peas makes no big sense. It still
can be that the same codec at different bitrates won't fit. That might
also be the problem with the display time. In fact, I think there is
nothing like a timecode in ordinary video files, only the frame number
multiplied by the frame rate is displayed.

Just try reincoding video and audio, e.g.

mencoder -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:acodec=mp3 -o
<outfile> <infiles>

This will give you an .avi file, though.

Greets,
Kiste