[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 14:59:34 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 5:20 AM, Manuel Reimer
<Manuel.Spam at nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> Nico Sabbi wrote:
>> why should we release something just to workaround the total idiocy of
>> distribution packagers? The problem is backwards
>
> At least for me (and probably also for distributors) anything which is
> not publically released is *unstable*. I, myself, will *not* download
> the sourcecode from SVN as I need a *stable release* to work with. If
> you really plan to not release a new version in future, then I think I
> should better look for another player... :-(

There is no such thing as a "stable" open source media player.

All open source media players rely on libavcodec for decoding, as
there is no equivalent library anywhere else.

libavcodec does not have stable versions.  It never will, either.

Since the core of any free software media player must be libavcodec,
it thus follows that no free software media player can possibly ever
be "stable," at least in the development terminology.

Dark Shikari