[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 21:33:12 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Krzysztof Duchnowski
<amidk75 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No, they will see that mplayer does no longer publish new releases,
>>> consider the project to be death and port over to another player or backend.
>
>> By that logic no distro would include ffmpeg, since ffmpeg doesn't
>> publish new releases, so clearly the project must be dead.
>
>> Except... no.
>

> But that it seems to user. At Ubuntu from 04.2008 it's ffmpeg CVS from
> 03.2007 so... almost as dead.
> In fact, developers of Ubuntu force Gstreamer as a main decoder.

No, that's just Ubuntu.  They still package the years-old yasm 0.5,
for example, which is so old it won't even compile x264 correctly.
This is despite the fact that more recent stable releases have existed
for years.  I don't think releasing a new stable version of anything
would increase the odds that Ubuntu would update much of anything.

Dark Shikari