[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 09:45:10 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:42 AM, Jan Knutar <jknutar at nic.fi> wrote:

> On Sunday 12 October 2008, Manuel Reimer wrote:
> > Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > > You could help us make a new release.
> >
> > What exactly has to be done to release the current state of SVN, as
> > 1.0 RC3?
> Well, to start with, someone should compile a list of known regressions
> and other gotchas, look into prodding the right people to try fix any
> such regressions, etc...
>
> Stuff that vaguely comes to mind:
>
> Does ass support still work, or is it waiting for uau/aurelien to stop
> arguing or write code? Did it work in rc2?
>
> DVD support...
> Someone needs to write a really point by point explanation of dvdnav
> forking, how to use the forked dvdnav, what of the internal dvdnav in
> MPlayer, etc. And how do you get css support? With mpdvdkit it's
> included (I think), with external forked dvdnav I'm not so sure.

This explains one of the reaons for making a release. Functionality and
quality are catalogued and documented. A releases creates a new project
baseline which is externalised. Which in turn explains why users (either
end-users or packagers) prefer releases to SVN head points, because
functionality and quality have been accurately catalogued and externalised.

The fact that no Windows developers remain in this community is probably a
case in point. Instead of proving that more and more people are moving away
from Windows, rather it's a case of more and more Windows developers and
users moving away from this product. While there may be those who celebrate
that, it's cause for sadness, because it points to the increasing isolation
of this product and its community.

 So the first question to ask is: do you want people outside this developer
community to use this software?

Best regards,
Francois