[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 23:14:42 CEST 2008

On 13 Oct 2008, at 20:27, Rashkae wrote:
> Otherwise, if you really expect distros to take svn, they have to
> create
> their own number versions, (so you'll have Redhat Mplayer 1.0.2 and
> Ubuntu Mplayer 1.0.2, but the source tarball will be different
> depending
> on they day they copied svn).  It also makes patching these versions
> different because each distro will have to create patches based on the
> day they copied svn, whereas if there were upstream version reference
> numbers, a fix for a bug in Mplayer 1.0.2 could be applied to each
> distro.

Honestly, the distros should get together & do this. The MPlayer
maintainers have stated they don't have the resources, the distros
seem to rely on MPlayer [1] so here's an opportunity for the distros
to contribute to a project.

If all the distros got together on a mailing list, agreed to make a
release from an SVN snapshot every 6 months or so then I would imagine
the MPlayer developers would be quite pleased.

If the MPlayer developers are too busy to approach the distros &
suggest this then I'm quite happy to volunteer to do this.

Stroller.

[1] Or am I mistaken? I don't tend to use desktop Linux too much -
what alternatives are there?