[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Christian Lohmaier cloph at openoffice.org
Tue Oct 14 12:03:42 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 3:23 AM, Phil_Rhodes at rocketmail.com
<phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com> wrote:
>>> VLC is a very good windows program, that is for sure.
>
> Can't agree. VLC has strange performance issues and glitches with subtitles.

The point is that vlc appears to be more actively maintained since
there is a recent release
(08-Oct-2008), whereas mplayer was last "updated" almost a year ago
("07-Nov-2007")

The user doesn't see that work is done in svn. The user just sees: Oh,
no release for such a long time, must have become outdated, I better
take the player that is actively maintained/being worked on.

> I suppose you can't have everything...

Guess so. But I for myself really don't understand why there is so
much rejection against publishing a new tarball.
I mean: You don't want users report bugs with old versions. Users
don't want to checkout the code themselves, they prefer tarballs or at
least would love to have some tag to checkout with (instead of using
trunk).

You also say that making a release is too much work., but I bet by the
time you have been arguing against a new release, you would have been
able to prepare on just as easily.

>From my POV, you don't even have to call it "release" - make it an
official snapshot or whatever. Just something that will make people
understand that the project is not dead. (and don't tell me it is not,
because much is done in cvs, nice that is missing the point)

my 0,2 € as a user (and one could say fan) of mplayer

ciao
Chrstian