[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Tue Oct 14 14:36:08 CEST 2008

Hi Nicolas George!

 On 2008.10.14 at 10:45:02 +0200, Nicolas George wrote next:

> Some time ago, I would have totally agreed with you, but no longer: there is
> something even better than -fontconfig: -ass.
>
> In my config file, I have:
>
> ass-styles=/home/cigaes/.mplayer/styles.ass

Is it, really? I was ass-force-style when ass support just appeared, but
soon disabled it because it broke default style in .ass subs. I.e. when
you force style like this, it doesn't only affect old subs, but also
replaces "Default" style in .ass subs which use it, destorying original
style. So I returned to using font = Arial option and
osdcolor=0x20f8ff20 suboption for gl vo.

I don't know, maybe it's fixed, or your method (which is a bit
different) doesn't exhibit this problem.

> The result is that if I enable -ass, the subtitles are rendered by libass,
> and look much nicer than the default ones. Furthermore, as I have a
> reasonably fast computer, I add "-vf-add dsize=1920:1200:0,scale=0:0" to get
> software scaling and have the subtitles rendered at the screen resolution.

Uh.. You can use -vo gl to get very fast video output (with yuv
suboption), fast hardware scaling AND high-quality subtitles, rendered
at screen resolution.

Btw I suggest you to use "ass-hinting = 5" (or 1), freetype autohinter
in light mode looks nicer than BCI or normal mode when fonts are
rendered in high resolution - fonts look nice and are readable anyway,
and light hinting preserves more of original style than BCI.

--

Vladimir