[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Wed Oct 15 18:06:51 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Wednesday 15 October 2008 11:09, Attila Kinali wrote:
[...]
> Uhmm.. -ass has no effect when watching DVDs, as DVDs do not
> have ASS subtitles.

But external *.ass file has.

> And a P-II 366 is at the lower limit for
> watching DVDs even if it's a desktop (you need a good and fast
> graphics card). Using a laptop which has a lot lower i/o
> bandwidth is at least problematic.

Yes, it is. I recompiled entire system with hardest optimisations
possible, and used the fastest vo available together with lavdopts
tuning.

> (Note for those who do not
> know: the i/o bandwidth of PCs is at least as important as a
> fast CPU if not even more important for watching videos)

Ok, I wasn't aware of that.

> > Note: I'm not objecting against libass, I use it occasionally
> > myself, but fontconfig seems to me to be a preferred way to
> > go.
>
> Note: you are mixing up text subtitles with non-text subtitles.

Sorry, I wasn't consistent. I had in my mind external text
subtitles (and DVD video was just an example of codec and
resolution), so I compared subtitles rendering with and without
libass.

Best regards,
Andrew