[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Wed Oct 15 20:48:44 CEST 2008

Le quartidi 24 vendémiaire, an CCXVII, Attila Kinali a écrit :
> -ass uses fontconfig.

That is true from the programmer's point of view. But from the user's point
of view, that is irrelevant.

> Uhmm.. libass doesn't render any fonts. It's still freetype that does
> that. What you are merely doing is to select a different font, nothing else.

Subtitles rendering does not stop after glyphs rasterization: the glyphs
still needs to be outlined and composited into the video. I find the
outlining much nicer with libass, since it allows finer configuration and
shadows with an alpha channel.

As for the compositing, the subtitles rendered by the standard OSD mechanism
are somewhat transparent: very saturated colors, especially red, show
through the white areas. I find that distracting.

> Uhg.. You must have smoked something heavy to recomend
> others to enable software scaling, because no computer is fast
> enough for software scaling, unless you are watching a thumb nail.

You may be a little late on the modern computers' speed. My box was
reasonably good two years ago, but nowadays, a Core2 at 2 GHz is quite
common, and it can perfectly do software scaling for my 1920×1200 screen for
all the videos I watch and still have CPU time left. I do not think that
1920×1200 qualifies as thumbnail, and neither do the videos I watch.

By the way, it is even fast enough to do fullscreen -vo x11: I had to do it
when my video controller was a little bit to bleeding edge for X.org and
XVideo was unstable. In fact, that is when I noticed that subtitles looked
nicer with software scaling.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George