[MPlayer-users] XV performance with PCI graphics

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 05:50:37 CET 2008

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:19:36 +0200
Alexander Roalter <alex at roalter.it> wrote:

> I mean on the PCI bus I should be able to move 130MB/s, and a 1280x720
> video @24fps produces less than it.

Theoretical maximums usually aren't possible to actually acheive with
any bus, and x86 makes things worse with interrupts causing serious
performance loss.  You very well *might* be getting close enough to the
max to affect performance.  There's an easy way to find out...  Reduce
your X11 color depth to 16bpp and see if you get significantly improved
performance.

If your card or system wasn't doing bus master DMA properly, I would
actually expect much WORSE performance.  Though, perhaps with
SMP/multicore CPUs, the lack of DMA might not be as devastating as it
used to be.

--
Don't trust me! I'm wrong!