[MPlayer-users] Bug report: image "tearing" and console damage

Mike Mohr akihana at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 10:35:09 CET 2008

mplayer-users,

It seems that this is the place to report bugs with mplayer.  If not,
please let me know where I can do so.

I'm using a PCHDTV 5500 capture card in Gentoo linux x64 (-current).
I've tested the problems I will detail below on two separate kernel
builds, one that supports ATI's proprietary fglrx 8.{8,9,10} and one
that is built for radeonhd.  I have two separate kernels because the
fglrx driver requires that the in-kernel digital rendering manager
infrastructure be disabled.

Problem #1:
I am experiencing extreme image "tearing" with the following options
in ~/.mplayer/config:
  lavdopts=threads=3
  lavcopts=threads=3
If I remove these two lines the tearing goes away and the video is
rendered correctly.  The reason they were put there in the first place
was to help render 1080p video on my dual-core Opteron 2216, so they
are not needed for everyday use.

Problem #2:
When reading ATSC DVB streams from the capture card, my terminal's
state is somehow corrupted on program exit.  This does not occur with
Xine, so I think it is an mplayer bug.  Say I do this:
  $ mplayer dvb://KQED
It works, but when I return to the console nothing I type is
displayed.  Input is working, though, because if I carefully type some
command and blindly hit enter it works.  Hitting enter repeatedly
yields something like this:

mohr at rosetta ~/.mplayer $ mohr at rosetta ~/.mplayer $ mohr at rosetta
~/.mplayer $ mohr at rosetta ~/.mplayer $ mohr at rosetta ~/.mplayer $

Issuing a 'reset' in the terminal restores it to normal operation.

Any ideas?

Mike