[MPlayer-users] better than VLC

Tony Alfrey tonyalfrey at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 7 00:06:38 CEST 2008

RC wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 21:07:04 +0200
> "Guillaume POIRIER" <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> MPlayer team can't take credit for that unfortunately. Please send
>> your warm welcome to the FFmpeg devel team in general, and Kostya in
>> particular.
>
> Actually, they can...
>
> VLC uses libavcodec just like MPlayer, yet Tony here is saying MPlayer
> works better, so the use of libavcodec apparently isn't the culprit.
>
> It's hard to say what he's specifically referring to, but MPlayer
> does use it's own WMV/ASF demuxer, and not the ffmpeg one.

What I am referring to is the behavior I often see in VLC to give little
error messages, for example, something about video delayed for more than
5 seconds, and then acting very sluggish and unresponsive to controls.
Here was a problem file:

mms://www.media.goteborg.se/internationella/slideshow_english.wmv

It is fine with mplayer.

--