[MPlayer-users] playback corruption + fix

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Sep 9 02:50:24 CEST 2008

bla blamail wrote:

> 2008/9/8 The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net>
>
>> bla blamail wrote:
>>
>>> I came upon this video
>>> http://www.djpnuemo.com/sites/malwaredb/quicktime.wmv
>>>
>>> which wouldn't play back at all in stable version, and in svn
>>> version this caused corruption.
>>>
>>> I'm not familiar with mplayer at all, and i only glanced at all
>>> the text on bugreporting and patch submission(a case of tl;dr).
>>
>> This is bad. If you're going to send in a patch, you need to follow
>> the rules. DOCS/tech/patches.txt isn't that long or that
>> complicated.
>>
>> The bug-reporting guidelines are somewhat more complex, I'll admit,
>> but still not enough so to be legitimately just ignored. By
>> choosing to do so, you are being rude.
>>
>>> however the included patch works for me on top of svn:
>>
>> The patch is mangled, so that it needs hand correction before it
>> could be applied. This is because you sent it inline rather than as
>> an attachment. You also sent the patch to the wrong mailing list.
>> If you had read the patch submission guidelines, you would have
>> found out about both of these problems before sending the mail, as
>> well as about at least one other problem I can see right away.
>>
>> Please read DOCS/tech/patches.txt and resubmit the patch usably.
>
> No thanks, i'm just a user(hence this list) of this project,
> reporting a bug,

Then you need to follow the bug-reporting guidelines. Saying "tl;dr" is
rude; I'm willing to say that that would apply almost universally, not
just in this case. More specifically, ignoring the rules to that extent
is rude; "tl;dr" is just a way of announcing that rudeness. (Explicitly
rejecting the rules can be a different matter, but that's not the
situation here.)

In addition, this list is not so much for users as for user *issues*,
user discussion. Patches for possible inclusion are not user issues;
they are development issues, and as such belong on the development list.

> i don't have the time, aspiration nor knowledge to properly submit,
> push, and take responsibility for the change.

You were able to create the patch. If it's good enough to be accepted as
a valid fix, that's 90% of the work right there.

The rest is just a matter of reading the submission rules and perhaps
making a few (very small) tweaks. If it isn't good enough to be accepted
at that point, there's nothing forcing you to continue. There's also
nothing to "push", and no need for "responsibility" for it past that
point.

> Use the information however you see fit, I don't expect anything
> further from your end, I'd appreciate it if you 'd extend me the same
> courtesy.

You apparently expect the developers to look over on the user list and
find a patch for consideration. That's quite a bit to expect, IMO.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.