[MPlayer-users] Embedding video playback inside a separate processes window on OS X?

Alex Sherwin alex.sherwin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 16:20:26 CEST 2008

Overview:

one-click Java Web Start app is delivering platform specific mplayer
binaries (currently Windows and OS X) and installing them to the users
home directory.  Java will then run the mplayer process as a slave,
and pass command line options to embed the mplayer video playback
inside a Canvas inside the Java app.

Currently, this works fine on Windows using Swing or SWT as the
display technology in Java, where Swing requires a hack to get the
Window Handle, and SWT has it available by default.  The Window Handle
is passed to the -wid option of mplayer.

However, I can't seem to find a solution for embedding the video
playback inside the Java app on OS X.  MPlayer OS X does this using a
shared memory segment, and using "-vo macosx:shared_buffer" when
executing the mplayer binary, but I'm unclear as to how this shared
memory can be achieved from a seperate Java process (realistically, it
cant).

Does anyone have any other ideas about possible ways to embed the
MPlayer video playback inside another window on OS X?
Platform-specific solutions are welcome

--
Alexander Sherwin
alex.sherwin at gmail.com