[MPlayer-users] Force mplayer to use ASS for ogm srt subtitles

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Sep 15 18:31:40 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:00:57PM -0400, Ergzay wrote:
> Is there a way to force mplayer to use the ASS subtitle decoder(?) for
> plain text subtitles in ogm containers? I've done a hack workaround by
> having a script use ogmtools to extract the subtitle; play mplayer
> with the subtitle as external; and then delete it afterwards, but this
> is extremely messy. Anyone know of a way to do this, or has it just
> yet to be added?

The native ogg demuxer uses the old and broken way to handle subtitles
(basically it modifies data in the output module directly) - this is
unlikely to be fixed.
It should work with -demuxer lavf though, but it has a few minor issues
(e.g. it does not display a language for the subtitle, and seeking with
theora video behaves a bit weird) which is why it is not yet default.