[MPlayer-users] dvd unplayable with 6 channel audio

Robert Henney robh at rut.org
Tue Sep 23 11:16:36 CEST 2008

when the ac3 5.1 audio is selected, and "-channels 6 -ao alsa" has
been used, mplayer will consume all the cpu and quickly desyncs.

I suspect this is a bug in mplayers ALSA code, as I believe I recall
playing this dvd fine back when I had OSS (real OSS, not emulated)
compiled into my kernel.  why this particular dvd is affected and not
others is unknown to me.

have tested using latest svn, as well as binaries from last year
and all exhibit the problem.

I have dumped the beginning of the main track from the dvd and
placed it here:

	http://rut.org/dump/stream.dump

also, my system is a Debian Etch install using stock kernel, if that
info is useful.