[MPlayer-users] Windows Vista playback problems

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Sep 27 18:24:25 CEST 2008

Hello,
please try to quote in a way that leaves the reader less confused as to
what is from you and what is from the previous mail.

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 05:19:08AM -0500, John Smith wrote:
>>   -vo gl:yuv=2:force-pbo
>>   is the fastest for any half modern graphics card, but does not work
>>   with
>>   ATI
>>   -vo gl:yuv=2:force-pbo:ati-hack
>>   is a bit slower and works up to and including ATI 8.8 drivers.
>
> I seem to be running ATI 8.41 :-)

Uh, I admit I think it was never tested with anything older than the 8.6
drivers.

> These above commands don't seem to work (no video - just
> audio)..., this is the error I am getting on Windows RC2 version of
> MPLAYER

rc2 is too old.
For your case, the situation is in short: due to ATI/AMDs incredibly
buggy and for some cases unoptimized OpenGL implementation you can not
just use any version, but you will need:
ATI drivers version 8.7 or 8.8
MPlayer version SVN r27216 or later
other combinations probably work badly or not at all (this is not
specific to Vista though, applies even to Linux).

> It actually worked somehow with just -vo gl on my 8.41 ATI.... But
> it ran very slowly with audio off sync (I am running 2GB memory, fast
> processor....)

As said rc2 is much too old for this to work. Unfortunately I know of
nobody who provides sufficiently new builds for Windows currently as the
whole MinGW toolchain seems to have serious issues currently.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger