[MPlayer-users] MPLAYER GOING DOWNHILL ... i.e. Windows Vista playback problems

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Sep 27 22:06:11 CEST 2008

Hi,

I think you have a few missconceptions here.

First thing: You are not quoting how you should do.
Please read http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/documents/quotingguide.html
and follow the guidelines there. Reading your mails is
very confusing and time consuming.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:44:18 -0500
"John Smith" <antlamp at inorbit.com> wrote:

>   > I hope the powers that may be rise up to fix this important
>   product.

MPlayer is not a product, never has been and never will be.
MPlayer is an open source project. This means it is developed
by people like you and me in their free time and only for the
fun of it.

>   > I think it is strange hi-def discs cannot even be played proper...
>   as well as more
>   > than 6 channel audio which is more typical than unusual in the
>   modern world (these days).

This depends very much on your conception of the "modern world".
Not everyone has a blue-ray player at home or a home cinema
system attached to his PC.

>   > I really hope MPLAYER is not stuck due to some irrecoverable break
>   down of the
>   > development cycle behind it.  Do you know if this is really true or
>   am I just exaggerating
>   > the issues?

There is no break in the development cycle. There cannot be any.
Because there was never a development cycle. MPlayer is
devloped ad hoc and when people feel like it. Because there isnt
a release for a year doesn't mean the project is dead at all.

>   > This means I need to come full stop developing with MPLAYER if this
>   is true.
>   > This means I need to come full stop developing with MPLAYER if this
>   is true.
>   > This means I need to come full stop developing with MPLAYER if this
>   is true.
>   > This means I need to come full stop developing with MPLAYER if this
>   is true.

What ever you meant, it doesnt get more clear if you repeat
it four times.

BTW: if you are developing a comercial product, please make
sure you understand and follow the rules set by the GPL.

			Attila Kinali
--
The true CS students do not need to know how to program.
They learn how to abstract the process of programming to