[MPlayer-users] too SLOW to play HD file

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Wed Apr 8 09:24:42 CEST 2009

>>> Wouldn't storing the file on a RAM disk potentially also work, if disk
>>> throughput is the problem?
>>>

>> It most surely would. If there's enough RAM for it. I've got a mjpeg
>> encoded 720p-video without sound here. It plays less than five minutes
>> and
>> the file is 885MByte.
>>

> Faster is always better, but I've been using mjpeg encoding for quite a
> while (for various reasons) and seldom run into any throughput problems
> with it.  In fact one of the reasons I use it is because it uses very
> little cpu power and I can run it on very underpowered machines.

The problem war reportet to occur on a 2.4GHz celeron. I think we can
agree this is not what one calls underpowered. Video out driver is xv,
which usually isn't the worst choice regarding speed. An uncompressed mono
soundtrack shouldn't steal to much performance. So what kind of problem
can this be? I would first try to rule out sound driver issues by trying
with -nosound, if that doesn't help I'd point to some kind of bandwidth
problem. As the guy who asked this question does not seem to insist on
letting us know more technical details, we're up to guessing.

> The video has lots of solid blocks of graphics moving
> from right to left across the screen and it all runs very smoothly on
> this machine (using about 30% cpu under windows xp).

That definitely is an advantage of mjpeg, it does not care at all about
movement :-)

> I can even play 1024 x 768 mjpeg clips on a via cpu with on board
> graphics with little problem either, but only under linux.

Via internal graphics chips are usually connected by AGPx4 or AGPx8. If
the machine the complaint was about had a PCI graphics card, I could tell
you where the problem lies...

Greets,
Kiste