[MPlayer-users] building from source

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Apr 24 10:26:34 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 08:00:10PM -0700, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> On 04/23/2009 06:24:29 PM, The Wanderer wrote:
> > Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> > > I build a default-configuration mplayer from the current source.
> > > Works fine, except that there is no sound. Distribution version
> > > works fine.
> > >
> > > What am I missing?
> >
> > At a guess, you're probably missing the development headers for the
> > various audio-output libraries which MPlayer can be compiled to use.
> > What does 'mplayer -ao help' on the compiled version say?
>
> Well, there's certainly a difference :-) As I'm running alsa, and its
> missing from the locally-compiled version, that's probably what the
> problem is. So how do I correct it?

You need to install the alsa-lib-devel package.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 08:02:34PM -0700, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> > Can I ask which distro?
>
> Of course :-)
> # rpm -qi mplayer
> Version     : 1.0                               Vendor: ATrpms.net
> Release     : 64_snap20081116.fc10          Build Date: Thu 27 Nov 2008

There is a newer package available (1.0-68_snap20090419.fc10).

Try

yum-builddep mplayer

so your system installs all of the required build dependencies needed
for mplayer, then try again building from source. yum-builddep is part
of yum-utils, if it isn't installed on your system.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net