[MPlayer-users] Is the b-frame delay still needed with mkv?

Alexander Shaduri ashaduri at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 14:48:11 CEST 2009

Hello all,

From what I've gathered, when encoding with x264 and writing
to avi file there's video delay of one frame if using b-frames and
3 frames if using b_pyramid.
Mencoder seems to compensate that by delaying the audio
at avi container level.
Now I usually convert my avi files to mkv (for chapter support, etc...).
However, it looks like mkvmerge ignores the container-level
delay settings. My question is, are they still needed?
That is, in mencoder -> avi with b-frames -> mkv process,
are the b-frame delays still there in mkv files, and should they
be compensated as well?

Thanks,
Alexander