[MPlayer-users] RE : Re: Opaque VOBSUB playback in XV mode and colorspaces

Richard Monk richardmonk at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 15:05:42 CEST 2009

Ludovic Dupont <ludov_dupont <at> yahoo.fr> writes:

> ... you say this is something left aside
> intentionnally, but do you think it is worth
> bugreporting or will it get directly classified as
> "won't fix"? Or is it even being worked on (I haven't
> SVNed mplayer by myself for quite a long time)? I'm
> quite surprised that almost nobody would think it is a
> major lack... sure, vobsubs are readable that way
> (most of the time), but I think it is really unclean,
> which is, imho, too bad for the really very best (and
> by large) video player on Linux...

I apologize for the thread necromancy, but I can't find a thread anywhere else
that is as close to the problem I'm facing

I'm having exactly this problem with the semi-transparent vobsubs under xv but
opaque (and actually readable) ones under everything else.

In some movies (The Fifth Element, opening scene in the ruins) it's very
noticable and the subtitles are almost impossible to read because they're
faintly outlined semi-transparent and the same color as the surrounding movie.

I went looking for patches or other fixes, but I haven't seen any at all.  Is it
possible to at least extract the vobsub files and force them to be opaque?

What bugs me is that mplayer is the best general-purpose movie player (and
mencoder is incredible) but xine and vlc have totally readable vobsubs, and
mplayer's look like crap.  Is there some fundamental thing that is going on in
xv that just can't be fixed?