[MPlayer-users] Slave command "panscan" doesn't work with frontends.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Aug 27 21:29:40 CEST 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 01:07:26PM -0600, Kevin DeKorte wrote:
> 1 minor issue... when using xv, panscan to 1 and then panscan back to 0
> and this sometimes leaves artifacts on the screen where the video used
> to be. I used to work around this in the code by keeping the drawing
> area snapped to the video size, I no longer do that and give mplayer the
> entire drawing area. So I can't cleanup these artifacts in my code
> anymore cause I don't own the drawing space.

Can't reproduce at all here with latest SVN and nvidia binary drivers (note
that I made a minor change to svn panscan handling very recently, but I doubt
it fixes that).
But apart from that, why do you say "cause I don't own the drawing
space"? That's your window, you created it, MPlayer is just making use
of it, you can still draw in it whatever and whenever you like (though
most likely you'll get some flicker and/or MPlayer will very soon
overwrite it again, but for clearing you should have completely free
hand).
Of course, fixing it in MPlayer if it is indeed an MPlayer issue would
be better.

> Let me know if you change how this works (ie the -fs requirement) I have
> made this functionality optional (disabled by default). So I understand
> this is a moving target at the moment.

I expect that the code you have now will stay functional, it just might
become more convenient to use / with featureful/more user-configurable.
To take advantage of those extra features (e.g. letting the user choose
the MPlayer default of no aspect scaling in windowed, only in
fullscreen) you might have to set fullscreen "correctly" again - but
probably that's a feature nobody will be particularly interested in.