[MPlayer-users] A-V sync with mencoder/mplayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Dec 10 22:25:15 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 08:31:27AM +0100, "Ing. Daniel Rozsnyó" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ken Bass wrote:
> > Hi all, newbie here - so please bear with me :-)
> >
> > In short, I am trying to capture video from vhs, via a tv capture card. But
> > the A-V is out of sync - audio lags video. Actually, it becomes
> > progresssively worse as the recording goes on.
>
>   I've tried the same thing - recording from VHS. The problem is that
> with a bad vhs tape (or a slow motor) you get rather a variable frame
> rate video than an exact 25 (or 30) fps one.

Well, you certainly can't use -mc 0 in that case (and possibly -noskip
is a bad idea, too, but not necessarily).
-ni and -idx are completely pointless here btw., and -vf harddup probably
just wastes disk space.

> > I have tried both ALSA and OSS. ALSA seems to work the best, but I keep
> > getting XRUNS.

Might mean the PC is still too slow. You could check if there are some options
to increase some buffer sizes.