[MPlayer-users] A-V sync with mencoder/mplayer

Ken Bass daytooner at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 03:00:31 CET 2009

Miroslav,

I think your way works - at least it's the best that I have gotten so far.

First, I do believe what Daniel said about the VHS/VCR variable rates. But
VLC didn't resolve anything, other than to confirm that it was the tape (and
VCR) that was causing the problem. Running VLC, either directly from the
capture card, or from a captured video,  VLC kept spitting out errors like:
"audio starved", "video arrived late".

(BTW: this tape was recorded 25 years ago, from another VHS recording. So it
is not the greatest quality to start with.)

I did have some problems running mencoder with your options. First, I was
using OSS, since that seemed to work the best with my capture card. What it
probably was doing was just ignoring errors, and not informing me - I still
had sync problems with it. When I switched to ALSA, I first got a 2 billion
second XRUN that it recovered from (give or take a 0).  I recorded 1 hour+,
then ran mencoder to write out the index. For the full hour (plus about 12
minutes), the audio was pretty much in sync. There is a small, but
noticeable audio delay (maybe 1 sec or so) throughout the entire recording.
But at least it was constant, and not progressive as it had been before.

Couple of questions, though:

Should I ignore the "1 duplicate frame(s) !", and "Skipped 1 frame"
messages? (apparently they didn't have any noticeable effect on the video).
Would the "-noskip", or "-noencodedup", or "-vf harddup" make any difference
(good or bad)?

For the -tv options, I used "immediatemode=0". Is that a problem? or is it
necessary? Also, I am using hardware MJPEG compression, coming out at
704x480 (this is NTSC, not PAL). This usually gave me better video

This method should work using other a/v-codecs. Right?

I know I can't get a digital re-mastered quality video, but are there any
mencoder options (or any other app) to clean up some of the VHS noise? Like
I said, these are old recordings, mostly made by recording from another
recording (VCR to VCR).

Anyway, for now, this method seems to work, so I'll keep with it.

Thank you VERY much.

ken