[MPlayer-users] Question about HD Content Streams!

Paul TT mplayer at paultt.org
Fri Dec 18 00:46:49 CET 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 22:22:37 -0800
tangerina at airpost.net wrote:

> I was most fascinated by the recent posts about HD Content & MPlayer!
>
> How would I please go about setting up the best possible out-come,
> given these facts:
>
> 1] Bandwidth is generally not an issue
> 2] Content can be authored into any end format
>
> AVI? MPEG?  What is best source for streaming 1080 quality, and
> further, it would be most helpful to play with a MPLAYER console
> command line/settings for this sort of endeavor... If someone has best
> suggestion where to start.
>
> I assume AVI is it, but maybe I am missing something or there is a
> better efficient manner.

definitely mpeg. avi is the evil. you can call it avil if you prefer ;)
it doesn't make sense to me to embed an h264 stream into an avi file,
nor code hd content in something like divx-or-the-like.
and if you code into h264, so avi doesn't really fit in.

about playing, it doesn't really matter, i think. i mean, when you have
the right options, to me is a personale choice. i play almost ever by
command line, so i can select specific profiles, but it depends on
hardware too....