[MPlayer-users] Request for Bloom effect in Video Output

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Dec 20 18:23:50 CET 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 04:05:22PM -0000, Phil Rhodes wrote:
> >This has been implemented since years, for 1D LUT see -vo
> >gl:yuv=4:customtex=...
>
> Write-yer-own pixel shaders, eh?

No, just a bitmap. And in fairly standard PPM format.
However it only works for YUV input and then applies the function
given by the bitmap on the resulting RGB values (independently if
you give it a 4xn bitmap).
Since 16-bit per component is not supported for YUV (yet?) it is
not really useful for that purpose.

> >However it doesn't quite apply to DPX since that is RGB, and processing
> >RGB data is only starting to work right now.
>
> To be fair it's not necessarily RGB, although it usually is in practice.
>
> Can you suggest a command line for testing this out?

As above, -vo gl:yuv=4:customtex=mylut.ppm
where mylut.ppm is a 4xn PPM bitmap (gimp can save as PPM), n should
be a power of two.
You should be able to also use a 16-bit-per-component PPM if you need
the extra precision - though there's only a point if your hardware has
support for 10-bit-per-component framebuffer etc. (and MPlayer uses it -
it should but it is untested).
I attached a ppm image that will posterize red into two values (except
for some values in the middle) and invert blue.
If you also add nocustomtlin to the options, green and blue will be
posterized into 8 different values.
(Note that I a using the term "posterize" quite liberally here).