[MPlayer-users] Playing video files over 6 Screens

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Dec 21 22:55:47 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:27:58AM +1100, Tony Siclari wrote:
> I have 6 video files all at the same resolution running on an individual
> player for each file on each screen. All is working OK the only issue I
> have in this scenario is I cannot get then in sync. Some players are
> slightly out of sync and then sometime gets back into sync after a few
> repeats of the files but then it's out of sync again, this is random on
> any player on any screen.

-vo gl with -benchmark will play in sync with each screen's refresh (obviously
assuming you have enough CPU power for that - if not you can try to either use
swapinterval=2 for half refresh rate or -vo vdpau which should have the same
behaviour).
That's about as exact in sync as you can get easily.

> I have 6 video files all at the same resolution then combined to make
> one large video file and only using one player. I want to be able to
> play this on each screen, it sort of works with Quicktime player but is
> very slow and jitterery. When the file is played each smaller video file
> which was combined will play on an individual screen. First of all can
> this be achieve with mplayer and how is it done or can anyone suggest
> alternatives. I know it can be done, help!

I'm not really able to understand that explanation.
You might try looking at TOOLS/mplmult.sh though (I hope it still works).
It is designed to play the same video multiple time, but with e.g. vf crop
you should be able to make each player instance play a different part.
Then there is also stuff like -vo ggi that I think was designed for that kind
of thing and probably there are quite a lot of other solutions someone else
has come up with.