[MPlayer-users] Cache usage in mplayer

Jorge Gascon Perez jorge.gascon.perez at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 17:51:33 CET 2009

Hey! Thanks for the quick responses!

So, you are true in all the cases, CDRoms, DVDRoms and more need to
keep spinning,
and the use of a cache could stop them, requiring a lot of time to get
them spinning again.

So, the solution of using:

              dd if=my_video.mpeg ibs=10M obs=10k | mplayer - -cache 10000

Is very useful and very recomended for slow media (the unique drawback
is that you cannot seek in the file).

Do you consider adding a new option to mplayer which emulates the "dd
if=my_video..." but with the hability to seek
files?  Do you consider if this could be useful?

I think that this capability could be good, specially for slow and
network media.

Thank you very much!!