[MPlayer-users] youtube hq mp4 url seek

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Dec 30 21:31:19 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:03:58PM -0800, Justin Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using mplayer to play youtube videos on linux as the flash
> performance is really really bad on Linux. One thing I miss is the
> seeking feature for YouTube. I use mplayer to play hq/mp4 videos
> through the script listed here:
> http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=MPlayer_youtube_script
>
> But when I try to seek, it gives me audio codec errors. I have tried
> seeking in VLC and it seems to be able to do that, but I prefer
> mplayer and would like to see if anybody on the mailing list has a
> solution for this or if we can borrow the patch from VLC that fixed
> this issue ...

I fear there are some bugs in MPlayer's http implementation.
Try configuring MPlayer with
--enable-protocol="http_protocol"
(or maybe go all the way and use
--enable-protocol="file_protocol pipe_protocol http_protocol
rtmp_protocol tcp_protocol udp_protocol")
and then add ffmpeg:// in front of the URL.
I updated the page above to mention this and other things.