[MPlayer-users] What happened to -af volnorm?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Mon Feb 16 23:18:10 CET 2009

>>> it's interesting to hear that volnorm may have functioned better
>>> in the past.  I wonder if the original author may be able to take
>>> a look at it.
>> I hope so, it used to be rock-solid, never heard any clipping at
>> all, and made the really quiet bits in movies much easier to hear.
>> Glad it's not just me :-)
> I never used it, but recently I observed some horrible and
> heart-attack distortions of sounds during explosions (and loud sounds
> generally) that previously I didn't notice

Well I think at last I have solved this problem!  Not mplayer's fault,
either :-)

I disabled volnorm for a couple of weeks and everything played fine,
but then I noticed Audacious was also clipping with the volume
normalisation plugin, which I never remember it doing either.

I upgraded my kernel to 2.6.28.3, and tried ALSA 1.0.19 (having
previously had major issues with 1.0.18.)  So far it seems fine, I
re-enabled volnorm in mplayer and I haven't had any clicks or pops
yet, and Audacious no longer clicks either in the places that it used
to 100% of the time.

So it looks like this is an ALSA issue, rather than an mplayer issue.

Cheers,
Adam.