[MPlayer-users] Hypothetical question regarding libass scaling

Eric Appleman erappleman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 12:14:31 CET 2009

(Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken regarding MPlayer functionality.)

Suppose I have 2 fansubs.

File 1: 480p widescreen (848x480) mkv
File 2: 720p mkv

Assume that both files use a script that has a playres matching the
video resolution.

If I have an LCD screen (16:10 or 16:9) that has a native resolution
that is larger than the aforementioned resolutions, the videos will be
resized (while maintaining aspect ratio) to fit in fullscreen or
non-fullscreen window. However, the subtitles will also be resized. By
virtue of its resolution, File 1 will have to stretch the video and
subtitles more than File 2 in order to fit the screen. It is understood
that resizing a video upwards cannot improve its quality, but because
subtitles are overlayed, they are not necessarily bound by this.
However, since they are normally treated as part of the video during a
resize, sharpness is sacrificed.

My laptop has a 14.1 inch WSXGA (1440x900) screen. For a 16:9 video in
fullscreen, the ideal subtitle resolution is 1440x810. For 4:3, 1200x900.

Is it possible to have the videos resized to fit a resolution within the
video's aspect ratio, fullscreen or otherwise, but not have the ass
subtitles lose their sharpness?

That is, why does MPlayer treat subtitles differently when the scaling
filter is used, as opposed to a normal resize?

- Eric