[MPlayer-users] Feature request- Intermediate images

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Thu Feb 26 23:55:36 CET 2009

> Please, tell me what you think!

OK.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

It takes quite a bit for me to use typographical robustness like that, so
allow me to elaborate:

Frame rate is an artistic choice. OK, we're limited to some extent by
technology, what the broadcast networks can do, but even in theatrical
motion picture work you can now do digital projection and those standards
include high frame rate stuff up to 48Hz. The amount of grief recently gone
through to obtain video cameras that can shoot cinematic-looking images at
24fps is enormous.

Second-guessing this is rather akin to retouching someone's much-worked-on
painting.

There are many reasons to develop an open-source motion compensation
algorithm, for which the approach of motion-compensated codecs like h.264
might be a model. However, interpolating movies is not one of them. It might
be an interesting to apply it to anime, or something like that, but they
tend to be frame doubled anyway and it would have to be very careful to
separate out fully-animated areas of the frame that were affected by DVE
moves, and the hand animation that generally only runs 8-12fps at best.

Making 24p video look like it was shot and reproduced at 100fps is cheap and
horrible and awful.