[MPlayer-users] feature request - decode video but don't render to a window

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Sat Feb 28 02:06:03 CET 2009

> Since that option writes video images (XImages) to shared
> memory, it seems to me that mplayer, in this case, doesn't need to (or
> shouldn't) render to a window, yet it does. The source file vo_x11.c,
> line 374 calls vo_x11_create_vo_window(), which creates a window
> (surprise). That window is used to render video.
>
> Why?

Because -vo x11 doesn't mean "output to shared memory", it means "output to an
X11 window".  Shared memory is just the method used to get the video into the
window.

> It would be useful to me to have a way to specify options so that it did
> not create or use a display window (unless that capability already
> exists and I missed it)

You would probably need to write a new output plugin that didn't actually
output video to the screen to do this.  Have you looked at mencoder?  It might
be possible to output to some raw/simple format, put that on a pipe, then the
decoded data will be available to your application.

Of course if all you need is to draw the controls on top of the video, it'd be
much easier if you could use hardware that supported -vo xv.  Then you could
just create a window on top of the mplayer window, set its background colour
to the right colour-key, then your controls would be visible on top of the
window.  You could probably even do that with any output method if your
controls were square and didn't need any transparent areas where the video
shows through.

Cheers,
Adam.