[MPlayer-users] SqueezeCenter Installation [Solved]

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Jan 3 11:16:19 CET 2009

On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 12:59:25AM -0500, C. Andrews Lavarre wrote:
> > How long have you waited? It works fine here. Your firewall might be blocking
> > the svn:// protocol.
>
> Thanks, google gives me
> 	http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2007-02/0443.shtml:
> 	> the svn:// protocol uses port 3690

Looking in /etc/services works without Google...

> So based on this tip, I opened TCP port 3690 and tried again here:
> 	svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
> and now it downloads a long list of files to /root/mplayer.

Of course there is the question why on earth someone would disallow
outgoing connections (except for large "public" networks) no matter
to which port.

> Running {{{./configure}}} as root results in a list of loaded and
> disabled codecs. Then running make goes on for a very long time, like
> about 15 minutes.
>
> {{{make install}}} is instantaneous. Phew.

You're "supposed" to only run "make install" as root. Makes it easier to
run it for testing before "make install" (except for VIDIX everything
should work without installation).

> *** svn is a protocol that requires opening port 3690. As this is well
> beyond the first 1024 common ports it requires some kind of awareness,
> not some dude just wanting to play music...

I've only ever seen that applied to incoming connections, if your
firewall was acting like that by default I think that was a very stupid
idea by whoever configured it so, but it will be useful to know that we
have to expect another round of such complaints...
Btw. the source snapshots are for me right on the middle of my screen
when I open http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html up to now I
considered it impossible to miss them...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger