[MPlayer-users] DVD true color subpicture support

Robert Henney robh at rut.org
Sat Jan 10 08:31:30 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 11:56:16AM +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Il giorno dom, 04/01/2009 alle 02.35 -0500, Ergzay ha scritto:
> > Is there any way of getting true color dvd sub picture support
> > working? Many anime dvds will do english translations and japanese
> > romanization at the same time on the dvd, if they are both white its
> > somewhat annoying. Is this just not supported yet?
>
> sorry, I don't know what you are talking about. Can you elaborate?

I believe he is referring to making use of the color palette stored
on the dvd for the vobsubs, and not just the black & white one mplayer
uses.

I certainly would like to see this implemented.  I have dvds that
make use of color to distingish several lines of dialog that offen
appear simultaneously.

I've seen much discussion of this topic on this and the dev list
for many years, but I think it came down to the palette not being
stored in the stream as a major sticking point and the library
mplayer utilizes for parsing the dvd structure being incomplete
in this regard.  there were a few additional issues as well if
I recall, but I think they had to do lack of knowing how to
properly match up the palette sections with the subs; 16 color
palette and 4 color subs.. or something like that.