[MPlayer-users] scaling and deinterlacing, telecine

Matyas Sustik mplayer.list at sustik.com
Sat Jan 10 22:34:35 CET 2009

Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> If the original source was progressive (as most movies are), I don't think
> what the upconverter produces is interlaced from your point of you (that is
> what I see every day with SD MPEG2 via DVB. If somebody thinks upconverters

This was 1080i HD broadcast of a movie.  I am quite confused overall how a
progressive 23.97ps movie can be broadcast in different ways.  The above was
the worst of I have seen.  It was a KLRU broadcast of Jane Eyre (1996) with
black bars around, except the bars were not completely black so cropdetect
did not work on it.  I also recorded Bruce Almighty OTA from Fox.  It was
720p reported as 59.94fps progressive.  I could not observe a clear frame
duplication pattern though.

> you will get much better quality (IMO) if you use a deinterlacer. yadif is
> by far the best deinterlacer for MPlayer quality-wise.

I also prefer yadif!

Thanks for your comments.
Matyas
-
Every hardware eventually breaks.  Every software eventually works.