[MPlayer-users] Piping mplayer output while displaying to -vo device

Jesse L. Zamora xtremek2008 at aim.com
Mon Jan 19 23:00:21 CET 2009

Hello,

I've been developing a TV application for Linux using mplayer and
mencoder as the backends (for viewing and recording). But I have a small
dilema. Mencoder cannot record video while mplayer is displaying it on the
same device. So, I'd like to know if mplayer can pipe the video and audio
output to a mkfifo pipe so then mencoder could record from the it? But, I
don't know if that would be the best way to do it. Any suggestions?

Thanks alot!
Xtreme Kommander

P.S. I must say that using mplayer as a tv backend is wonderful! I've
tested it with my program for hours and hours and it NEVER has crashed!