[MPlayer-users] Concatenate (audio only) asf stream files without transcoding?

Walter Belhaven wbelhaven at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 18:51:00 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm using mplayer to capture a streaming radio program (audio only, of course), inside a loop that automatically restarts mplayer whenever it gives up: either due to network congestion, a server error, or any other problem.  Here's the command I'm using:

mplayer URL -dumpstream -dumpfile N.asf

where N is the Nth time mplayer has been started.  Frequently, I'll end up with several such files (1.asf, 2.asf, ..., N.asf) and am wondering if there's a way to concatenate them into a single asf without any transcoding of the guts.  When I try the obvious:

mplayer 1.asf, 2.asf -dumpstream -dumpfile output.asf

It will actually "play" 1.asf, and then "dump" 2.asf to the output file, and then mock me with "Core dumped ;)".  Ok, I get the joke (only after searching the archives <g>), but what I really want it to do is concatenate 1.asf and 2.asf to form output.asf; however, it's only writing 2.asf to the output.

I've tried other things, like putting the input files at the end of the command line, in which case it only dumps 1.asf and completely ignores 2.asf.  I've also tried creating a one-file-per-line playlist, but that also ends up copying only one of the two files to the output.  Finally, I've tried mencoder, but it's quite adamant that a video source must be present before it's willing to go to bat for me.

I could dump each asf to a "headless" wav, "cat" them, and then encoded to mp3 with lame.  But my goal is to not do ANY transcoding on these files at all; i.e., leave them in their native format but concatenated.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh, I've tried this on a number of mplayer versions, all with the same result:

MPlayer 1.0rc1-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.1 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team

Thanks,
WB