[MPlayer-users] MPlayer compile fails on AIX,POWER4

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Jul 12 10:30:22 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 11:42:30PM +0200, Andrew wrote:
> If I configure with --disable-gl, I get this error instead:
> gcc -Wundef -Wdisabled-optimization -Wno-pointer-sign
> -Wdeclaration-after-statement -std=gnu99 -Wall -Wno-switch
> -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -O4 -mcpu=power4 -mtune=power4 -pipe
> -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I.   -I/usr/X11R7/include
> -I/opt/freeware/include/freetype2 -I/opt/freeware/include   -c -o
> libvo/vo_x11.o libvo/vo_x11.c
> gcc -Wundef -Wdisabled-optimization -Wno-pointer-sign
> -Wdeclaration-after-statement -std=gnu99 -Wall -Wno-switch
> -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -O4 -mcpu=power4 -mtune=power4 -pipe
> -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I.   -I/usr/X11R7/include
> -I/opt/freeware/include/freetype2 -I/opt/freeware/include   -c -o
> libvo/vo_xover.o libvo/vo_xover.c
> libvo/video_out_internal.h:41: warning: 'query_format' declared
> 'static' but never defined
> libvo/vo_x11.c:39:33: error: X11/extensions/XShm.h: No such file or directory

Are you sure --disable-gl is the _only_ option you used.
X11/extensions/XShm.h won't be used unless configure determined it is
available (then it can't really have disappeared when compiling, can it?)
or when you forced it to use it.

> Assembler:
> line 6296: Instruction fsel is not implemented in the current assembly
> mode PWR4.
> gmake: *** [mplayer.o] Error 1
>
> At this point, I'd like to scream "THEN DON'T USE FSEL" but it
> wouldn't work would it.

Well, your real problem is that your assembler is of the opinion that
the fsel instruction can not be used on the Power4 while the compiler
thinks it can. Beyond one being obviously wrong, that also means they
were never properly tested/made to work together properly.
Since I guess there is no alternative assembler for AIX, your only
chance is finding a compiler that _properly_ works on AIX - the one you
have doesn't (though you might try removing -mcpu=power4 in config.mak,
though it isn't the right solution and your gcc is likely to have quite
a few more issues - a compiler very rarely has only one such obvious bug
on fringe systems).