[MPlayer-users] general question about multicore encoding

Jonathan Isom jeisom at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 20:25:59 CEST 2009

Hi
   I currently use mencoder and ffmpeg for encoding.  I have a amd
dual core 6000+
(Brisbane core)  processor and when I enable threads I only get about 60-70%
combined cpu utilization (measured in htop) . This is with encoding
mpeg2, mpeg4 &
x264. I tried selecting both auto a specific number of thread(2->4)
with no differences.
I'm currently running 2.6.30 amd64 linux kernel and have rulled out
disk-io bottlenecks.
If I run 2 concurrent encodes I get 100% utilization.  Anyone Have an
idea as to what I
can try or links to information that I could use to address this.  I'm
running svn of both
ffmpeg and mplayer btw.  I am tired of banging my head at this.

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

--

ASUS m3a78 mothorboard
AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.1Ghz